Are you aware of the link between menopause and gut health? The decline in oestrogen levels that occurs during and after menopause can alter the gut microbiome and reduce its diversity. At this time, it’s quite normal to experience digestive health changes, including increased gas, bloating, and irregular bowel movements.
If you’re experiencing menopause and gut issues at the same time, this can be a lot to deal with, but taking gut health supplements may help you to manage the digestive symptoms you’re experiencing. Read on to find out more about gut health and menopause, and how our aguulp for Gut formula may be able to help you manage other symptoms too.
Menopause is a natural part of life and occurs when oestrogen levels begin to decline. It can happen at any age, but usually occurs from around 45 to 55 years old. Every individual will experience menopause in their own way; some people will not be hugely affected, but many will encounter symptoms such as:
- Hot flushes
- Low moods and anxiety
- Poor digestive health
- Night sweats
- Reduced sex drive
- Vaginal dryness
- Impaired memory and concentration
Menopause symptoms can begin months or even years before you enter menopause itself – this is called the perimenopause, and they can continue for years after your last menstrual cycle, during what’s known as the post-menopausal period.
How to manage changes to your gut health in menopause
It can be difficult to know where to start with managing changes to your gut health and menopause symptoms when there’s so much going on in your body. Your GP will be best able to advise on the menopause treatments available to you, depending on your individual needs.
Taking a gut health supplement is one small step that could help to manage any menopause-related digestive issues you experience. Our aguulp for Gut formula contains a powerful blend of soluble fibre, prebiotics, vitamins, and amino acids. The prebiotics help feed and stimulate the growth of good bacteria in your gut, allowing them to flourish and contribute to normal bowel function and better digestive health.
Menopause and gut health changes aren’t the only factors that can go hand-in-hand at this time of life. Your skin, mood, and bone health can all be impacted by menopause too, and aguulp for Gut contains ingredients that can help you to look after more than just your gut.
Skin and bone health support
Our aguulp for Gut formula also contains a perfect combination of minerals and vitamins to support the skin and bone health during menopause, including:
- Collagen – declining hormone levels during menopause can affect the production of collagen, one of the most important structural proteins in the skin. In fact, by the time we’re 40, we can start losing up to 1% of our body’s collagen each year. Studies have shown that supplementing 2.5g of collagen per day can lead to significant improvements in wrinkle depth, skin elasticity, and moisture. aguulp for Gut contains 3g of collagen per sachet
- Vitamin C – vitamin C is important for maintaining bone density and for the production of collagen. It may also help ease hot flashes, and its antioxidant effects can help reinforce the skin’s defence against external damage
- Vitamin D – vitamin D helps the body absorb calcium and maintain healthy bones during menopause. It also supports heart health, blood sugar regulation, and the function of the immune system. On top of this, several studies suggest that good levels of vitamin D can reduce the frequency of menopausal hot flushes
- Zinc – zinc also helps to maintain collagen, bone, and tissue health
Mood and mental function support
It’s not just menopause and gut health or other aspects of physical health that are linked, but some people’s mental health can be affected too. Brain fog affects around two-thirds of people during menopause. This is likely due to a drop in oestrogen levels, which can trigger mood changes and impair cognitive functions, such as focus and memory.
Our aguulp for Brain formula is specifically designed to help wipe brain fog away and improve focus, memory, and mood during menopause or at other times of life, thanks to these powerful ingredients:
- L-Tyrosine – taking L-Tyrosine during menopause can help to regulate serotonin and dopamine production, contributing to a more positive mood, mental alertness, and a sense of relaxation
- L-Theanine – L-Theanine can help to improve memory, learning, and focus, while enhancing mood because of its effect on the release of relaxation-related neurotransmitters in the brain
- Vitamin B6 – as women age, serotonin levels (the happy hormone) can drop, which may contribute to mood swings and depression. Vitamin B6 plays an important role in the production of serotonin
- Vitamin B12 – B12 is essential for optimal cognitive function, but as we age our ability to absorb it decreases
- Lemon balm extract – this soothing plant extract may help reduce cortisol levels and contribute to a calmer mood and a better night’s sleep during menopause
Find support for menopause and gut health at aguulp
aguulp for Gut and aguulp for Brain are two of our bestselling supplements that we hope will help support you through menopause. If you have any questions about how our supplements can help you to manage changes to your digestive health at any time of life, please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Shop our full collection of gut health supplements today.